Monday, November 03, 2008

more sugar please

tRiCk oR tReAt
Oh dear me.  

I had the cutest little witch and skeleton for Halloween and now I have 2 DEVILS!
I'm sure you all know and have your own secret recipes that work quite well, but I believe I really perfected my recipe for 2 little devils this last week. And the kicker, I didn't even buy ANY candy this year.

-first day, go to a ward party during the week with the usual candy and soda and ice cream etc. and stay out late
-next day, make sugar cookies and eat the dough
-friday, dress up yourself and the kids and go to Derek's school where you will find a party and crazy kids and more treats etc.
-then, later on, try to make the kids eat some real supper and not just chocolate. (hint, try as you might, it doesn't work.)
-dress up again, go trick or treating. (whatever happened to people handing out 1 or 2 candies? everybody tosses out like 10-15 treats these days, yeesh! so you go on 1 block and the sugar is overflowing.)
-get myself sick with the yummies at a Halloween party. (my sis in law Sarabeth throws THE BEST parties ever!  her skills could be a post on their own.)
-stay out too late with the kids dancing away at the fun party
-Saturday, kids eat candy all day
-get a babysitter for Saturday night so I don't have to deal with the kids. (this step is key for your own sanity.)
-get home from a great night out, but the kids still bouncing off the walls for the babysitters.  ( i sure hope they'll come back again to babysit.)
-toss kids in bed and let 'em cry it out for a while.
-Sunday, factor in the extra hour to make it the longest morning of my life before 1:30 church
-invite a small army over for Sunday dinner
-Sunday night, let them cry it out again after staying up way to late.
-Monday, try to have a quiet no sugar day at home, but find it is still coursing through their veins. (this is when the white lies begin, saying the candy is gone gone gone.  this is also when you have to make a decision.  are you going to keep the candy hidden for your own stash or are you really going to make it be gone gone gone?  you will find out my personal choice at the end of the recipe.)
-put the kids to bed tonight EARLY just after 7, cry it out
-quiet.
-go run off the weekend at the gym
-eat chocolate while you blog (another very important step for myself in the sanity department)

If you follow all these steps in a rather round about way, you will have some cookoo, crazy, whiney, screaming, sticky, filthy devils, love 'em! (but please tell me it will all wear off by tomorrow!)

And somewhere in there your 18 month old leans a new word, 'Candy!' (He already knows 'chocolate' and 'treat')

Here are the fashions of the ward party night and Halloween.  And yes, I dressed up in my great grandma's 100 year old dress, and found I will never be much of a looker with long black hair I see.  I know, Derek and I put a lot of effort into our costumes, I think he was a mad scientist.  We were no Incredibles like Whit and Brad, but it was still fun to not be complete party poopers.



Alli's tutu looks kinda weird in the pictures, but it was the cutest part of her costume.


If you look close in this picture, James already is dirty with chocolate on is face.


One more thing. Happy Birthday to my brother Pete today!

13 comments:

linda rae said...

Lindsaybea, yer crackin' me up here. You are quite the entertaining writer.

And THANKYOU for bringing the little witch and skeleton to see us!
Cutest costumes the whole night.

lrf

Susie said...

Cutest little witch and skeleton.. for now. Ryan totally called that you would say 2nd cutest chick, you're so predictable. You are so funny I'm just trying to get Sadie to "fall" back into regular sleeping. I had no idea it would throw her off so much. No sugar for her. CUTE DEVILS

whitney said...

Whatever, you had awesome costumes! I love that you made the kid's costumes, I am finally rubbing off on you! I knew you had it in you to be crafty!

Caylee said...

So cute Lindsay! Yeah, the sugar whatnot is the best. ;)

Jacklyn said...

I have a freakish child I know but seriously Luke probably had 3 pieces of candy he just really didn't care he wouldn't even go trick or treating. We went to the trunk or treat and once he got a big sucker he didn't want anything else. He did eat a few sugar cookies though. And By the way Love the costumes they turned out super cute!!

Ashley Dawn said...

What a great recipe!! I think there are definitely some variations....but all do include eating chocolate for sanity purposes!! Glad you had a wonderful Halloween... hope the recovery goes well.

Christal said...

you are too funny that sound alot like my week too crazy kids to much candy went out sat night nice to have a break! But sunday was out of control too! Hope this week is already going better then last! Love halloween ha ha! Your costumes look great btw! ttyl

Jaime said...

Great costumes! I am impressed that you did them all yourself-that is very crafty of you.

melissa said...

Clearly - cutest kids and costumes as usual! Loved your recipe too. haha By the way, I love the pumpkin carving pictures too. Scooping out the guts is my favorite part and it looks like Alli liked it too. Yay!

Tisha said...

Hee hee!! So cute!

Oler Family said...

cute costumes! Sounds like a fun Halloween! Who's idea was it to start handing out candy....obviously someone without kids!!!

Alysha Sladek said...

cute cute cute!!!! love the costumes. and i love that you and derek dressed up too!! that's awesome.

Sonia said...

I guess we'd have to admit that among the "Witches" in the world, ours were both the cutest . . . how could they not be when they look like twins. I love the little broom. Now I'm thinkin' "why didn't I think of that?" I know the answer . . . a 1 year old can't carry a broom and her caldron for treats.

You all look great! I'm so glad we can relate with the wk long Halloween parties, candies etc. I"m trying to figure out when it became such a "big" event!!! :o)