Sunday, May 04, 2008

bitter sweet

It hit me this week. ummmm, we're moving in 3 weeks! Yikes! Lots to do. Here's the story.

Derek has applied to a bunch of school divisions from Edmonton all the way to the Raymond area. We have no sign of a job yet. NOT gonna stress about this. I am not sick of Edmonton. I still really love it. I love the friends we have here. We love our ward. I love that they have babysitting at the gym. Really good shopping so close. Love the nice big parks. I do NOT enjoy the weather. (but it is getting better right now, and frankly we live in Alberta, weather sucks, that's just the way it is.) And I do NOT enjoy how expensive the cost of living is right now. Hence, for the last reason alone, we are outta here. Down to Raymond for the summer.

We found a sweet place to live. I'll tell ya about it. 6 bedroom, 4 bathrooms, fully furnished, big landscaped backyard with hot tub, occasional free babysitting, boat in the garage, Sunday dinners...well, you get the picture. We're moving in with my parents. It's pretty much against everything I stand for....but, come on, A YARD! I am in NEED to get out of this apartment. I am never living in an apartment again. 6 years in this teensy place, I TOTALLY paid my dues.

The packing is started. I hate packing. We never move. I hate moving. I don't know how to do it. Suddenly, when it's time to move, I get this constant stress in the back of my head all day and night. And whenever I am sitting, I feel guilty, like I should go pack a box or clean a cupboard, not blog. And the nice weather is so not helping my pack motivation. I'd way rather go play. Oh well, everything always seems to get done somehow.

So in September I have no idea where we will be. I honestly don't care where we go. (well, I care, and that is why I refused to let Derek apply anywhere north of here.) All I ask is more than 900 sq. feet of living space, no multiple flights of stairs to drag kids and groceries up, walls I am allowed to paint and a fenced yard to name a few. I really don't think that is too much to ask.

Derek had this last week off before he starts his LAST couple of classes. YAY! We had big plans to take in all the fun things we wanted to do one more time. We made it to a few, but instead we decided to work a little. I did a couple night shifts. I was so spent after. Seriously...spent. I couldn't sleep during the day. I used to pride myself on how good I was at sleeping anyplace, anytime, anywhere. I was totally disappointed in myself. Derek worked too. During the day. He remained sane all week. James decided sleeping through the night would be a good idea when dad was a charge. But I'm ok with it, because he is keeping up the habit! But i don't want to talk about, I probably just jinxed it anyway. And I dare say the plague of sickness that has been here since January just might be lifting

We did go for the free rides at Galaxyland. Alli can ride anything she is tall enough for (all 4 rides that is) with an adult for free too! She was out of control excited. We love taking her there.

Also, a hot dog roast at Hawelak Park was a must before we left. I LOVE that place. It's nothing special. But we have spent so much time there with family and friends playing and eating. I love being there in the summer. So Brooke and Brett joined us for probably our only trip there this summer...tear...

We wanted to make it to the zoo (but it rained) and swimming (but we didn't) But when it wasn't raining we hit up all the local playgrounds and yes, the mall of course. Oh mall, I will miss you! (don't worry, I'll visit you again before we leave)

I'm so excited for a ridiculously fun summer with family, but so sad to leave our life here. But so ready to MOVE ON in life!

So I have been typing this forever and my pictures won't upload the WHOLE time. I feel bad, I need pictures. Does anyone actually read when I go on and on? I wrote A TON here and no pictures. Sorry, I'll try again later. My internet has been like a SNAIL this week, what is up?

16 comments:

KellyLady said...

Good luck with packing! I totally agree that it is the worst part of moving....and I prefer having less time...I'm more efficient when we find out we're moving in a matter of days instead of weeks! Enjoy the summer and the yard and all the spoilage you will get!

Alysha Sladek said...

I read!! ;) Let me know what I can help with for packing... even if it's just taking the kids for a couple hours!! PLEASE! We've moved more times than I want to count in the last few years so if you need any help, let me know! I'm glad you guys are getting to move on. Sad that you're moving, but excited for things to come. That's great that you can stay with your parents (and so much room!!) good luck with everything!

Jaime said...

Congrats on starting this new phase in your life. Good luck with Derek's job, I hope it all works out for you!

Oler Family said...

3 WEEKS! That is so sad! I sure hope that you are back here next year! Seriously..how are ytou going to live without West ED?

whitney said...

3 weeks! Holy cow that is fast. Can you believe I just said holy cow? Anyway, why not live with the parents. I have done it, and might just do it again one day if we build a house. Free is free. And as long as there is an end in sight it's manageable.

Arrington's said...

Holy Cow been there done that! All these emotions your talking about i have just experienced. I waited until the weekend we were suppose to be moving to start packing, nightmare! I've decided you just have to go with it because anything you actually plan will probably change anyway. It all sounds exciting though change is fun Good Luck!

Just Rhonda said...

I don't like packing but i loooooooove unpacking. A new fresh start. Weird I KNOW. And I read it all. :)
And your new place sounds awesome.

Jess said...

I haven't had to move with a baby yet but I can only imagine you seem to collect so much stuff when you have kids.
Have fun at Grandma's I am sure there will be some great perks!!

Tisha said...

I completely understand the whole living with your parents thing (as I'm doing it right now!) It isn't always the best, but it does have its advantages. Good luck! We'll have to take the kiddos to the park sometime and let James and TJ play!

melissa said...

I always read, even if there are no pictures. I totally understand about the moving and the packing and the total sucksville of it...especially as the weather is starting to get nice up there. Who cares about living with the parents for a while?! It really will be nice to have a yard and breathing space again. Good luck with the moving and the job hunt. Perhaps I'll see you this summer!!

Melissa said...

yeah!!! Derek is done school, doesn't it feel GREAT! And the moving in with parents isn't as bad as it sounds...remember me last summer??? Hope packing does quickly for ya, good luck!

Mindi said...

Wow, have fun! I also hate packing. I think I have it down though, we've moved so many times. I will never move with cardboard boxes though. I've been on a "tote" kick lately. Everything is in totes of different sizes and colours. Helps that way!

Susie said...

ahhh I miss you, I hear you with all the bittersweetness of life. seriously Hawrelek so sad I miss it & all the weenie roasts
p.s we are stuck in the airport right now (i know feel bad for me) its been a long day & we still have a long flight!!

Sarah Shaw said...

man you are popular! and I read the whole thing the thinga about you is you type like the way you talk! have fun! been there done that ( living w/ the folks, Dale's) you'll have a great summer! and if Derek wants to apply north of e-town GP is not that bad here ( it's what I have to keep telling myself!) I m here? I'm cool

Unknown said...

good luck and call us for help!

TheMousirFamily said...

totally read your posts don't always comment, but let me tell you, I think you are the best!
Good luck with the packing, I am doing it again too, and that bitter sweet of living with in-laws yep doing that too for a bit! but it will all be good and good luck with finding a job....there is always Calgary!