Friday, January 18, 2008

do you feel like a parent?

It really sets in you are a parent sometimes.

Maybe you first felt like a mother the moment your little one arrived and you cuddled them in your arms.

Maybe it was the first time the little one looked right at YOU and smiled.

Or when she cries and cries and only stops when she gets kisses from mom.

His first word, Mom.

Well, I've had a few moments where I SURE knew that I was a mother. It might have hit me first the time when we were on our way out the door for church when Alli was just a few moths old and some explosive contents spilled out the diaper and onto the floor. Or maybe the time a few months ago when I tried the no undies to potty train and this (#8 the unthankful) was the result.
But on Tuesday evening it really set in. And it set in all through the night.

I am a mother.

It started with the puke in the car from Alli. Then it was an all night adventure. It was a stinky mess. Both of the kids at it until 6 in the morning. As I was scrubbing the carpet, it hit me. I am a mother. As I was rinsing the second set of bedding for both kids. I am a mother. As I was changing my pyjamas for the second, I am a mother. As I was doing laundry at 4 in the morning. I am a mother. I am their mother, and NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO CLEAN THIS UP!!! That's when I know that I am a mother.

no pictures this time, your welcome.

I'm pretty sure it set in few times for Derek that night that he is a dad. I really couldn't handle all that on my own! He did clean out the car, he bathed the kids in the middle of the night, and gave the best cuddles to name a few.

I love my dad. I wonder what he would say his moments of feeling like a dad are. Happy Birthday Dad!

5 comments:

melissa said...

Oh my gosh Linds! Yes, you are definitely a mom - and a really great mom! That sounds like quite the adventure though. Poor little things. :(
p.s. I totally drove through La Grande on my way here and it was my saving grace through those cursed mountain passes. Now I know why it sounded so familiar! My roomie is from there too - and she's Canadian, and our dad's know each other from the mish. Crazy!

Susie said...

and what a mom you are! seriously amazes me the things i see you just do. i'm glad I have someone to talk/vent to about the beginning of my mom adventures

Alysha Sladek said...

You're a great mom at that too! I sure hope they get better quickly!! Poor them and poor you!!

KellyLady said...

Oh Linds..I've been there and I agree with you 100% that it is these kind of days and nights that really hit home that we are mothers...Thank goodness it's all worth it.

Just Rhonda said...

oooh sounds like a ROUGH night. I had one of those nights on Saturday night. I was well AWARE of being a mother as Lucy woke up for the 5th time.