Sunday, October 25, 2009

take a deep breath...and run

I skimmed over my half marathon a while back like it was no big deal.  Well, it WAS a big deal.

I wrote this a week or 2 after the race while I was waiting for pictures and then I forgot about this post.  I'm really glad that I wrote down some things then, because there are somethings I might have forgotten. 

SO, here's the story of the half marathon



There was a bunch of us from Derek's family that all went down to run the Hobble Creek half Marathon in memory of Peggy.  We ran it in Utah at the end of August.  It was a race she wanted to do.

I left my kids behind thanks to Alyssa and my parents.

I felt so good the whole race.  My last few miles were sheer adrenalin, I have never felt anything like it.  I'm sure I really didn't, but it felt like I was sprinting the last mile, I couldn't hold myself back.  I think I passed 30 people on the last mile, I'm not exaggerating, it was amazing.  I came up where the family finishers and family fans were, and I was overcome.  I had tiny tears in my eyes, but I was so happy.  I DID have to take a deep breath.  I have never felt that way before, especially at the end of 13 miles.  I can't really describe it, but it was a feeling of so many emotions I'll never forget.  I wish I was better with words to be able describe it, but I don't think it's possible to describe the way I felt.  


(and as great as I was feeling on the last stretch, i might just be calling for help here)

I ran it just over a minute faster than my first half marathon in May, 1 hour 53 minutes.  I was happy with the time, but I would have been happier if I beat Austin and if my time was under an hour 50, but oh well.  Dang 17 year old boys who don't have to train.


(love these gals)

I don't think I'll EVER feel like that ever again during a race.  But, that's ok, because I'll always remember the way I felt that day as I came in 459th place, (hehe, well, there was 1200 people in the race) feeling like I just might vomit, (and completely satisfied with that feeling), being cheered on by hundreds of strangers, thinking how great this family is and thinking of my mother in law and how awesome she was.  I miss her.

Our shirts said, as you can see on the front, 'take a deep breath.'  That was a phrase Peggy often said when someone would be stressing out about this or that.  I can hear her now (for some reason I'm hearing her say it to Brooke....hmmmm)
On the back it says...'and run.'  We were running for her that day!



Also, can I brag about my husby for a second?  his first half marathon, he was in the top 100 finishers!  I think he ran it in 1 hour and 34 minutes.  umm, yeah, he's hot, i know.  (but I kinda want to hate him for it because I probably trained double him.)

19 comments:

The Byams said...

linds i am so glad you blogged this! i have none of the pics yet. i am bawling just reading it and it truly was an amazing feeling!! what a fun day!!

KellyLady said...

wow. what an amazing accomplishment and memory. Congrats.

melissa said...

This post just made me teary-eyed. I'm really glad you posted it.

Brad, Whitney, Roman and Finn said...

Glad to finally see pictures of it. As if you felt so good the whole way - you are awesome!

Rashelle said...

Great job on the race, I don't think I could ever do it.

Ashley Dawn said...

Holy Smokes. Congrats!! That's AWESOME. I just did my first 5K this year in 43 minutes. Judging by that, I think I might have come in 1200th place. You're inspirational...

Em and Tom said...

Linz, I am crying.
That is an awesome thing that your fam did for Peggy. Losing family members is such a difficult thing. I love that you guys sometimes say Ryan is in charge of the weather. This year has been hard for me. I think Logan being 8 and everything keeps Paul on my mind a lot.
I'm just glad we believe in eternity.
loveya
p.s. Good job with the run!

Karen said...

Way to go Lindsay!! It's amazing the strength that comes from doing hard things, especially when you feel like your being carried by someone above! Keep doing "hard things", your dear mother-in-law and so many others are counting on You!!!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Thanks for posting this!
The way you described the race was amazing - so glad you did it and that you got to do it with the Baldry's. (and way to go on the time. you and Derek. Your children are going to be ridiculously fast!)

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

Great race times for both you and Derek! Way to go!
What great motivation to have a purpose and inspiration behind the run.
I like that "Take a deep breath...and run"

#15 said...

derek and lindsay, you guys are both awesome! (and derek trains for a living -- PE teacher, no?) every 6 months the navy makes me run a timed 1.5 miles to demonstrate the adequacy of my "battle preparedness" -- i'm tellin' ya, it's all i can do to make it that measly distance, and i can't even do it as fast as either of you ran a whole 13 miles!!

congrats, i'm sure peggy is very proud of all of you!

(and BTW, i think the boys should've worn pink, too :)

Susie said...

you are amazing! Is it so wrong that I tried to make your picture bigger, yes wanting to see your sweat and grueling facial expression is that so weird. I always wonder if I will ever do a BIG run like this... I think I'd get a rush just being at the race cheering on strangers. Way to go Baldry's. p.s the things you & Derek will do just to get a weekend away from the kids.

Christal said...

That is awesome I love the shirts too! I seriously admire you that is a great accomplishment for all of you!
Thanks for your comment on the swine thing great points there are so many confusing articles out there its just nice to hear what others think!! Don't think I really believe all that stuff either just interesting though!! ttys

Roe Family said...

All I can say is your AMAZING GIRL!!!
And keep up the good work.. and next time your in cardston stop by.. Oh did you like those books??

lynz said...

such a simple phrase and i love it. take a deep breath is something we all need to do every once in a while - the running part.....well i'll leave that to you guys! good work lins - awesome time and sweet post and awesome dedication to peggy :)

The Lowry's said...

Way to go! I am glad you posted this. What a good memory/experience.

Candice said...

You have inspired me! I'm going to run my first HALF in February at Seeley Lake, MT....will be COLD! :-)
Wanna join us?

Jess said...

That sounds like such an awesome experience for your family. What a great idea. Good for you in doing so well you are amazing.

Jaime said...

Congrats on your race, what a great thing you guys did.
I just saw your family pics on Rhonda's blog. You look fantastic!