Thursday, October 01, 2009

did you know?

Well, I didn't know.  I have this 'stack' of very important 'things' that happened on this very day I couldn't help but share a few.


But first, Happy Birthday last week to Derek.  I plastered the walls of the Raymond Junior High School with photocopied pictures of Derek in junior high, just to let everyone know he is 31!  He loves me.  He loves me when I put random pics of him on the blog like last month, and he loves it even more when I put them all over the school.  He loves me and I love him!


But, Back to business here.  On THIS day...
In 1908 - The Model T automobile was introduced by Henry Ford. The purchase price of the car was $850. 

1933 - Babe Ruth made his final pitching appearance. He pitched all nine innings and hit a home run in the 5th inning. 

1962 - Johnny Carson began hosting the "Tonight" show on NBC-TV. He stayed with the show for 29 years. 

1970 - Jimi Hendrix was buried in Seattle, WA.

1971 - Walt Disney World opened in Orlando, FL. 

1987 - Eight people were killed in Los Angeles when an earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter Scale hit the area.

1991 - The white crystal-beaded glove worn by Michael Jackson was stolen from the Motown Museum in Detroit. M.C. Hammer offered a $50,000 reward for its return 

1994 - The NHL team owners began a lockout of the players that lasted 103 days.

1995 - Nearly $1 million was raised at the Farm Aid concert in Louisville, KY. The musicians that performed were Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp, Hootie and the Blowfish, and The Dave Matthews Band. 


2009 - Threw a baby shower for my friend Steph and teeny tiny baby Austyn here tonight, Success!

And, to top it all off on this very day, Julie Andrews was born in 1935, along with Jimmy Carter in 1924 and Vladimir Horowitz in 1903...

oh and ME in 1981!


Interesting STUFF!

19 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Ok, the food at your shower looks so good!! I believe I saw some cake pops too. I have yet to try to make them, but they look so cute.

Ashley Dawn said...

YAY!! Happy Birthday. Look how selfless you are to throw someone else a baby shower on your birthday. So thoughtful. Hope you have a GREAT day!

whitney said...

You never cease to make me laugh!
It was a great party, your crafty side is coming out more and more, no more making fun of me now!
And a Happy Birthday to you!

lynz said...

hehe - love that pic of you! looks like you were thinking just what you wrote :) happy birthday! oh and wow - that is a lot of cool stuff that happened on your big day!

Mindi said...

Yer so funny...loved the random facts! Happy Birthday. Cute shower dec's too!

Jess said...

Happy Birthday. Love your cute pics.

Alysha Sladek said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Em and Tom said...

Hello darling
It has been way too long!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
I hope it was awesome.
Jack and I were talking about your
age and she was so funny. Needless to say she isn't looking forward to getting "so old!"
I, of course, stood up for you although I will always be older, so who am I to talk? I think we should make Jack feel really old when April rolls around though, because she deserves it!
loveya
em

Oler Family said...

Happy belated birthday Lindsay! And to think...your birth was the best thing that has happened on that day in the history of all time!!!! Hope you had a great day! Oh, and I LOVE that you posted pictures of Derek all over the school...that is VERY funny!

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! I'm going to google my birthday now and see what's happened. That food for the baby shower looked so yummy, good job!

Karen said...

Happy belated B-day Lindsay!!
Does the "friend Steph" happen to be Stephanie Salmon that lived in 6th ward once upon a time?? If so, please pass on my congratulations!
Derek's birthday surprise is fantstic!... it wouldn't have quite the same effect at Mark's office and I'm not so sure he loves me as much as Derek loves you... but it's still a great idea!!

melissa said...

You are a crack up! That's the best birthday post ever. See you in a few weeks!

KellyLady said...

Loved the birthday post! Happy birthday...hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Now that you are a little older the print size is a little larger---

Susie said...

Any party you throw is worth the drive. I could go for some of that food right now! Of course it was worth it to be there on your b-day too! Who is anon? I wanna say mom but I'm pretty sure you guys bump into each other pretty frequently.
P.S I LOVE a good Raymond parade. So glad you started that.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday again! Interesting day to be born. Thanks again for the shower, it was really fun.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday again! Interesting day to be born. Thanks again for the shower, it was really fun.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday again! Interesting day to be born. Thanks again for the shower, it was really fun.

Just Rhonda said...

hahahaha. I never saw this post to say happy birthday. even though I told you already, i'll tell you again. Happy birthday. We love you too!