Friday, May 01, 2009

it was up his nose

yep.  the thing on the right took a little trip up a little boys' nose yesterday.  


he was really digging around up there and then he sneezed like 17 times in a minute.  then he said it 'up nose.'  

i tried to get him to blow it out, i tried to tweeze it out, and i even tried to suck it out with a straw, all these things being rather tough when i was holding him down myself.  after a few hour, james wouldn't let me near him so i decided he needed to meet another dr. in town.  we got it out.  it wasn't a pretty job for me.  it involved me giving a little mouth to mouth while closing off the other nostril until the dr. could tweeze it out.  there is a reason the dr made me do the dirty work.  it involves a fair but off the child's 'nose mucus' on my cheek.  

the dr. commented on what a great job i did at holding james down.  as a nurse who misses pediatrics everytime i enter my new workplace, i took it as the sweetest compliment i could ever get.  what i wouldn't give to insert an ng tube into a child right now.  

16 comments:

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

good heavens. the things we don't think about when we're wanting to be pregnant and hold a darling baby in our arms...
our first thought should be there will be a time when my son will shove a "whatever-the-heck-that-was" up their nose and I'll have to help the Dr. get it out! You did a fabulous job.
It's amazing how worth it they are hey?!
P.S. I hope this makes sense!

Oler Family said...

I can't believe that! I must say, you made some very creative attempts!

Jess said...

That's awesome. Isn't it great when those work skills can be of such help in your own house. James sounds like he is so full of life.
Can't wait to hear more about your adventures in New York.

Jaime said...

Isn't this a rite of passage to be a little boy? I am just waiting for our trip to the doctor...
Glad you had so much fun in NY, can't wait to see pictures!

McCandless Co. said...

Ok that is so funny! Luckily Ryder has no fascination with his nose whatsoever, I can only hope that that continues, my department kind of is only the mouth. Well it will be fun to tell him about his snot all over you someday! Your a good mom that's for sure.

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I really don't know what prompts a kid to shove something up their nose. I just don't get it.

Luckily you are a great mom and a great nurse and were able to get it out.

whitney said...

I love James. He makes me laugh! He is so ALL boy.
Oh I miss working with you on peds so you could tell me all the answers to everything I don't know and take me on long walks in the middle of the night.
Stop teasing and get to NY already!

Alysha Sladek said...

oh the joys hahahha. glad it all worked out. can't wait to see your ny pics. sooooo jealous you got to go. jimmy's heading out next month. SO FUN!

Susie said...

teaser # 2. You're killing us post the NY pics already. ha ha. James better get this all out now, so when Sadie spends a week with him she learns only the "good boy" James.

Susie said...

p.s Holy cow look at the head of hair on James

Christal said...

wow james!! and wow mom you are awesome that should qualify you for the mother of the year award whatever it takes to get the dang thing out eh!! I love the way you write you always make me laugh! Joys of being a mom eh! Have a great sunday!!

Jacklyn said...

That is so funny, you know when I got off the phone with you I thought huh I wonder how she got that thing out of James' nose. Well good to know

Just Rhonda said...

hahahaha. Alden stuck a pee up there before.....

Ashley Dawn said...

Kienna stuck a tic tac up her nose. It started to disintegrate and the menthol was stinging her nose and she was screaming like she was going to die... Eventually she sneezed it out with more mucus than I knew could possibly be in a little girl (or a full grown man for that matter). Those are such fun moments.

Mindi said...

So cute! I love it!!

Roe Family said...

That sounds so like a little boy!!!!