Sunday, May 10, 2009

ahhhh moms


First of all, I'll update you on my Mother of the Year ranking.  The other day James started with the sneezes again.  Put it together, I'm awesome and when I took that picture below, I didn't actually throw away that puff ball after, and it ended up back in his nose again.  
I know, I'm awesome.  I was too embarrassed to take him back to the clinic.  I tried all the same tricks from last time including the newest with no success, and tried them again when Derek got home, no results.  By then it was bedtime, so I decided it will have to stay in overnight and I'd swallow my pride and lose all faith in myself (not faith in being a good and watchful mother, but frankly for being a terrible housekeeper) and take him in the morning to the dr.  (clearly I would look up a different dr. only to show off my good child holding skills to someone new who might appreciate it.)  
Alas, James couldn't sleep.  He was crying ' doctor get it out, doctor get it out.'  So midnight rolls around and Derek took the fall and took him to emerg.  He's so nice and he decided not to mention to the nurse this is the 3rd time in a week this has happened, (yes I said third, he did it another time when I wasn't home and my husband who really is awesome saw it in time and snatched it out.)  Thankfully they have awesome tools there and she got it out with minimal torture I am told.  (I wonder if I should invest in one of those for the future?)

So that's that.  Other than that, I don't see why I shouldn't be Mom of the Year.  

On that note, today is Mother's Day.  Had a GREAT day.  The kids woke up sooooo early, and I did not!  Alli and Derek made me yummmmy breakfast.  Got some fun stuff just for being me!  Which didn't include chocolate at church, dang it.  My Greenfield Ward friends reading, I hope the delicious tradition still stands, lucky you.  Had my parents over for dinner.  And now, the token Mother's Day blog.   


A while ago right after our blog mom revolution, they did a show on Oprah about mom confessions.  (she must read our blogs and got the idea there.)  It was HILARIOUS!  Some of the confessions put us all to shame.  Then, they had some people on who wrote a book about all the stuff about being a mom that no one talks about.  It was good.  BUT, they got a little complainy about things sometimes.  Let me tell you, I will be the first to say it is hard to be a mom, and a stay at home mom...it's hard.  Yes, we all have our days and moments and we might complain here and there, but when the gals got going in the complain department Oprah stopped them and was like, 'But isn't this what you wanted?'   And yes, Oprah, it IS what I wanted.  (and no, this wasn't an 'ah ha' moment Oprah, I already knew this is what I wanted.  I watch Oprah on a regular basis, but I don't like her, is that weird?)

It's not like I am the first mom to have a kid jam the same thing up his nose 3 times in a week (am I?)  or to have sugar freak children, or had to quit breast feeding before I wanted to, solely for my own sanity.  I love that I can meet a total stranger, and if they have kids I can suddenly make conversation with complete ease.  We are all in this together.  So let's enjoy it together.  I want to be able to be a support to any mother who needs it, and not judge. And I'm going to need, and have needed that support, because sometimes it's gonna suck along the way, but are you kidding me?  Is that what we are going to focus on?  Have the occasional vent and move it along because being a mom is the greatest opportunity.  Because isn't this what we wanted?!


And I'm afraid I just can't do the tribute to my mom's this year.  I love my mom and she's awesome on so many levels.  I hope she knows how much I love and appreciate her every single day.  I love Derek's mom just the same for giving me him.  I will be a different and better person for having been so privileged to be a part of her life.  Ok, so I guess I did just do a mini tribute, but I'm practically bawling here, so that's all.  

15 comments:

marisajbaines said...

ahhh, yes i watched that oprah too... how bout that mom who peed in a diaper so she didn't have to pull over....smart lady. i JUST made another mean mom confession. but i must say after reading that james has had a cotton thingy up his nose THRICE times this week.....you win.. i surrender. thanks for sharing the inner workings of how to get objects out of noses.. it may come in handy on day.!

whitney said...

Well said lins. Where did this inner writer come from? You always say what I am thinking and say it ten times better than I ever could. I love it!

Just Rhonda said...

Happy Mom's day! We got chocolate :)

Jackie said...

Poor little James with the cotton ball...I kind of laughed a little! Hopefully he won't do it anymore for your sanity! You are an awesome mom...love the honesty!

Jacklyn said...

Love it as usual, and I also don't like Oprah but watch her frequently...Whatever and I also hate celebs but love what they are wearing

lynz said...

intriguing about the oprah thing as i do the same thing. guess there are a lot of us oprah haters but lovers of the oprah show out there :)
the cotton ball thing is hilarious and the question really is....why does he keep putting it up there if he knows he'll want it out eventually and needs a doctors help?!? oh the joy of little boys! thanks for the "isn't this what we wanted" bit too. i totally agree and think someone should make one of those cute little wooden signs with that saying on it for all of us to hang above our bedroom door so that we are reminded of it often - so true!

Susie said...

I do think you deserve mom of the year, but I think i do too, maybe runner up. I'm friggin raising my kid in NYC in a 200sq foot apt. I wanted to send Oprah a link to your blog, until you outted yourself today. I think she would have liked the realness of you. Yep, I guess it's what I wanted.

DeAnna said...

That is awesome, not that you had to deal with him putting it up there THREE TIMES, but that for some reason he loves Doctors enough to keep doing it! Knock on wood I haven't had to deal with that one! I actually never saw that Oprah, sounds like it would've been fun to watch. I really liked your post!!

Jess said...

I love reading your blog you always make me laugh and smile!! Isn't it great being a Mom. I can't wait to meet James again he seems like a whole lot of fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Great camera that took such wonderful pictures!!! great kids and mom too!!
your mom

Heather said...

I have not been here for a while but you made my day! Dont worry we all have those mom of the year moments. Thanks for posting, I may need to callyou one day if we ever have an up the nose issue!

Alysha Sladek said...

you do deserve mom of the year. at least it's just something up his nose and not broken legs, stitches, etc.

Christal said...

You are such a great mom! I love your blog you always make me smile!

The Lowry's said...

So true, this is exactly what we wanted. I just love your posts. You really have a knack for writing, saying it so well, keeping it real, good pictures, funny stories, cute kids.
You have it all! Happy mother's day to you (late as it is)

melissa said...

You are an amazing mom, Linz. I know I've said it a hundred times, but I really look up to you and I hope that when I actually get to be a mom that I can be half as good as you are. I hope I can call you for help, or advice, or a vent session, or when my kid shoves something up his nose, and I hope my kids are half as well-behaved and well-dressed. I seriously can't wait to someday join the Mom Club just for those reasons.