Monday, September 13, 2010

i don't know why i'm doing this...


I could skip over this event like it didn't happen, but what would be the fun in that?!

So a few weeks back Derek and I decided to do a triathlon. That term is used pretty loosely around here. I mean, you do all 3 events, but the distance can be quite varied as in short enough for me. We decided to support the local village of Stirling because when you don't train you don't feel so bad about only spending $20 to do it. It was 300meter swim, 10km bike and 3 km run, so nobody needs to be too impressed with me.

I hit up the local pool once the week of. I almost drowned. The lifeguard handed me a flutter board. I didn't even ask for one, what does that mean?

(that's just me doing a leisurely back stroke during a triath)

These days when I ride my bike I am getting zero benefit. The kids love to ride their own and those little legs of theirs can only go so fast. So gone are the days of pulling them in the trailer and getting a workout while doing my errands around town. I'm pretty sure it's the equivalent of sitting on the couch and shifting positions in the calories I burn while riding with them. Therefore, it is safe to say that I am not in bike shape.



So I was holding out for the run to do ok in, but that is the last event you do so I didn't even know if my legs would work by that time.


ANYWAY, long story short, and I mean swimsuit short, I forgot my shorts. Yep, I get out of the pool and go to the 'transition area' and put on my shirt and my shoes and NOT my shorts. Because I forgot them. ( I wore sweats there if you are wondering if I just showed up in my swimsuit ready to go and they were in my car over in the parking lot.)

(there's me in the background most likely asking that guy if he has any shorts. and there's derek finishing his bike as i start my bike)

What else could I do but carry on and ride my bike in my swimsuit. (and tell everyone I saw that I did in fact forget my shorts and that I wasn't some sort of triathlon poser) It was a little cold so I had a long sleeve to put over my shirt. Yep, 2 shirts, no shorts. I'm awesome.

(your welcome for the faraway shot of no shorts me. my dad thought this was great and kept snapping away the closer i got! not pretty)

I'm hardcore, but if there were no shorts for me when I finished my bike I would not have done the run. I do draw the line somewhere, because no one wants to see that. My nice husband Derek took off his running shorts and put his swimsuit on after he finished (because he was in the 1st heat and freakishly fast and was done the whole thing by the time I rolled around) so I could look so cute in his giant basketball shorts.

(here i am beating this guy, but not really, because i crossed with my right non chip timed foot and he crossed with his left chip timed foot and so his timer went off first. but my overall time was faster than his so HA! to random stranger on my blog.)

So there you have it. I hope you laughed because I did and that's all you can do!

15 comments:

Mindi said...

Aw, that's nice of Derek to do that! I'm just wicked impressed you guys have the ambition to do stuff like this.

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

ok, this was really funny. First off, I'm super impressed you and your hubby did this together. That's awesome. The no shorts thing? I just loved it. Derek was kind to lend you his. Great story Linds!

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I love that end photo of you beating that guy!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA, love that you had no shorts! That is the best.

lynz said...

so glad you didn't skip over this! also, so glad that you beat this guy. also, kudos to you for swim suiting the bike - i'm afraid i would have stopped right then and there!

The Byams said...

i am laughing my head off right now! i love you! hahaha

Alysha Sladek said...

good for you for doing it. no way in heck you'd get me doing it - i'd drown! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Um actually on racepro.ca the results say that 772 came in 14th place and you came in 17th so...

whitney said...

I laughed the first time you told me and I am sitting here laughing out loud again. I actaully have tears in my eyes now that I can see the pictures while I laugh. You are the best! I wouldn't have even biked in no shorts.

mindy said...

LOVE IT!!

Arrington's said...

Who is this Anonymous person?!? that's the funniest part about it! I really hope it's the guy in the picture :) You are hard core and I think I would have finished it pantless as well. You can't say I stopped half way through because I had no pants!! Besides it makes for a much better story

Christal said...

You are awesome that you did it in the first place and that you forgot shorts but carried on because you are awesome!!! Love that anon comment what it it is the guy to funny!! You always make me laugh!!! we all need another girls night soon!

Susie said...

HA Made ya look.
this anon is killing me, I only want to know who it is if it really is 772. if it weren't for the whole short fiasco you would of beat him hands down, but then no story and prob no blog. work sucks don't do it.

Jacklyn said...

Who's Van??? And by Van I mean who's annon comment, but I'm sure that you knew that...you get me. So I looked at this quickly the other day and was like oh looks like she did a tri and that was it. I now came back to read it and am I ever glad that I did, you kill me, I wish I was there!

Gabrielle Steed said...

I just laughed my butt off reading this whole thing. tooooooo funny! You are awesome. Good times and good memories. When is your next triathlon? I'll come cheer you on and carry your stuff for you so you don't have to worry about shorts?!?! Gab

rebecca said...

hilarious Lindsay! you crack me up every time I read your blog (will comment more from now on...promise!) almost as entertaining as the blog post is mr/mrs annonymous! hilarious!!