Sunday, December 06, 2009

mom jeans

welcome back to me. who know how long i will stay...

So we have been doing the same old this and that. Having fun and all that. Apparently not having enough fun to have anything to write about though.

And I put up an eyes closed picture of the kids last post and really had to do just one more of them.


We just got back today from a ridiculous weekend. Derek and I planned a trip up to Calgary for this very weekend a while back when football was FINALLY over and before too much Christmas fun began. So Friday after school we decided we were ahead of this so-called blizzard warning. Well, we got past Lethbridge and met the 'so called blizzard.' It kinda gave a whole new meaning to the term white-out. I'm not even exaggerating one bit when I say we were in a complete white out for more than half the trip from there. I'm talking I can about 1 foot in front of the car. Derek said, the roads weren't bad, it was just bad visibility, to which I replied. Yeah, I guess the roads weren't bad if you don't consider 2 small black strips of ice covered highway bad roads.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!


(this is from the internet, I would have been glad if that is what it looked like. We would not have been able to see the ruck in front.)


I was literally sick to my stomach. I kept trying to fall asleep so I wouldn't have to look, but I couldn't. When we finally made it to Susie's house almost 4 hours after we left (normally a 2 hour drive) I was so tense I had a headache and a backache and a sore neck. So THANK HEAVENS we made it. I NEVER would have gone if I knew it was that bad.

I think it was worth it, as we drove past the ditches before Calgary littered with cars and semi's. We dropped the kids off at Susie's with a babysitter and went out to eat with them. The kids were so lucky (and Susie and Ryan so kind) to stay over there and Derek and I stayed in a hotel and went on Saturday to do our Christmas shopping.

Did some good shopping. Pretty much started and finished shopping in one day. Now one to the title.



















I got the kids some goods and thought I'd fancy myself a new pair of jeans for Christmas. Now, this is quite the task of life of many women. I was blessed for many years to be able to buy whatever jeans from wherever with no worries. Sale on jeans? I'm there, no matter what the style, looking and feeling not bad. Then came a child, and it became a little more difficult to find that fit, but the second, near impossible now. You know, it's got to hit you at the right place around the middle while keeping the bum and thighs looking well. And speaking of the bum, gotta keep it, and those lovely love handles TUCKED IN. Easier said than done. I swear, I cannot attend a girls night where the topic of good jeans and baby names do not come up!
Well, I hit up a bit of a sale at the gap. I grabbed a few styles in various sizes and colors. The job is not done right unless you try on 17 pairs I'm quite sure. And then it happened. I pulled up a pair. They felt just right. Snug with a slight stretch. A nice little boot cut look. Slim but not too slim through the thigh. Buttoned up just below the waist giving me that TUCKED IN feeling....wait...buttoned up just below the waist? I turned around too stare at my own rear end. There it was my friends. The biggest mom bum I had ever seen on myself. I almost laughed outloud. I had never seen myself that way before. I showed Derek and he knew something wasn't quite right in the front. Then I showed him behind and how high it went up, and the disaster that was my bum. He gave a little chuckle, and said, 'umm you can't get those.' So the jean search continues as it will for life I'm sure.


But I have one secret I'll tell about those dang mom jeans. I LOVED how they felt! There I said it. And hey, the 80's are back, so I'm thinking anytime now, since we're already wearing the skinny's, we'll jack 'em up again too.




Butt...I guess there is no way those are comfortable.

20 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I love it. Mom jeans!

Please, please don't let my bum look like that last photo.

The topics at our girls nights always involve laser hair removal and diets. Everytime!

ashley b said...

You are hilarious! I was reading your blog and Tom walked by and saw the pic of the jeans and was like "what is that??" We both laughed out loud! I think you should start the trend of "mom jeans" in good old Raymond and see if it takes!

Susie said...

ha ha I was laughing right from the get go. Next time I want to come shopping with ya, we would've for sure busted up, and then embarassed ourselves when the lady next to us walked out ready to buy the 'mom jeans' It is amazing that you guys made it and I'm really not surprised. It was a fun weekend.

whitney said...

I wasn thinking there was no way they would have gone. I haven't set foot outside in two days. But so glad you made it safe and had fun! Your the smart ones, the mall was probably pretty dead.

Just Rhonda said...

I was nervous for you guys. I checked into to mom and dad to make sure you'd made it safely!!!

And um.... all those pictures are something alright! WOW.

Karen said...

Oh Lindsay, you make me laugh! You also got me thinking about my last Gap jeans purchase... They felt really "good" too, uuuhhhggg, maybe i'm the one wearing "Mom Jeans"!!!

Alysha Sladek said...

glad you made it up safely!!! i seriously busted a gut about the jeans!! still am actually!! thanks for the laugh :)

Candice said...

You are so funny! Never stop writing about....your kids, your life or you MOM jeans. I am in stitches! :-)

lynz said...

those last ones seriously cannot be comfortable!!! hehe i love that you felt the so called wonderful feel of the mom jeans before you checked out your butt, and i'm so glad you guys made it safe and sound! i probably would have passed out, but i'm glad it was worth it :)

Em and Tom said...

I am laughing so, so, hard! I have not tried on new jeans since before Henry. Oh the horrors of growing up, having kids, and getting old.

Christal said...

you made me laugh so hard please don't wear those!! Don't start the trend!! so nasty they really are for real selling those????I hate jean shopping. Glad you made it safely to calgary!! scary weather! ttys

Jaime said...

I am also questioning my last purchase of jeans at Gap! Hopefully I am not rocking the mom jeans. Glad you guys made it safe and sound and had fun.

marisajbaines said...

you know what... this post has me even more confused than before... where should i shop..... cant shop there because im not in highschool... cant shop over here because im not 50.... glad to know someone else is as confused as i am... okay, so dont mock me next time im reading a seventeen magazine and my bum crack is showing when i bend over....im one confused mom..

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Hey queen of the comments:
I have a secret. I found some jeans that help tuck everything in, but don't have a mom butt. (or at least if they do NO ONE IS TELLING ME!)
Maybe that last picture was me doing some last minute shopping - I may have a Bugs Bunny bag from way back in the day.
I can't believe you guys were in that weather - on the road - I was nervous just being at my house. Crazy stuff. Glad you're safe!

Caylee said...

That was too good! Eww, that nasty pair of guess jeans at the end - wow. Oh the battle of the jeans, I'm sportin the gap curvy's right now because they feel so good! ;)

Melissa said...

HAHA! You always make me laugh! I love the pics, classic. I could give you a pic of my mom back in 1986 and it would be almost the same. You really have to come down to buckle to shop for your jeans, they are the best.

melissa said...

Oh sweet mercy. No. The mom jeans will not make a come back! Man I feel bad for that lady in the last picture. That thing has it's own area code!

Ashley Dawn said...

Oh man.... now I'm all paranoid as I look down at my jeans and they're close to my waist, all tucked in. I need to go run to a full length mirror and do a double check...

Kristi Drennan said...

"Hoooooly DINA!"

That's just what I said right now out loud as I saw that last photo.

Hill Family said...

You crack me up! I am so glad I found your blog on Mindy's. I have a hard time believing your darling body would ever mimmick any type of Mom Jeans look!