Tuesday, November 10, 2009

don't worry, i'm still a slacker mom.

I think I do things pretty much the same living with my parents. I try not to get in their way too much. I clean up after the lot of us most of the time, just like if we had our own place. (own place...sigh) And so my routine may involve a little nap here and there.

Last week I was reading the kids some books on the couch. The next thing I knew I woke up to THIS!


Falling asleep in the afternoon while reading is no surprise for me even when I thought I wasn't tired when I sat down. When I woke I thought I must have been sleeping for an hour with the mess. The kids had got into the games cupboard as you can see. I jumped up (for fear of the time and my mom or Derek would be home any second) and looked at the time and realized I could not have been asleep for more 5 minutes or so. 5 MINUTES! Not bad kids, not bad. I let them keep playing with all the stuff for over an hour. They weren't wrecking anything, so I decided why not. And I made supper. Derek did see the mess (and helped me with the looooong process of cleaning up) but my mom didn't, phew. I guess she'll see it now.

We are really liking living here. I'm so glad my parents are happy to have us here for a while until we figure out what is next for us. The kids really like being around the grandparents, and being here whenever anyone else in the fam is here for a visit. My parents are gone to their condo in Arizona right now for 2 weeks, so we are really partying it up here...really.


On Monday we decided to go in the hot tub for fhe. We don't take the kids in very often, and I don't know why. They LOVE it! It's like a mini swimming pool. I decided to snap a few pics

This picture cracks me up, clearly she was getting some coaching from Derek for this pose.

Let's all get a good laugh at Derek's face in this picture


Maniac

On a final note, that has nothing to do with me being a slacker mom or a fun hot tub mom, tomorrow is Remembrance Day. Neither of my grandpa's served in the war for various reasons and I'm not quite sure I remember exactly why. Mom Dad, remind me? Both of Dereks' grandpa's served in the war. Derek's sister Mindy wrote about this on her blog. She wrote some good things and has good pictures.

The one thing I have heard grandpa Hicken say is how when he was over in the the war in the army, he and a friend saw all the planes and thought it would be so cool to be doing that. So they asked if they could change to the air force and they did. He flew on over 20 missions (or more maybe?) and they were all successful.
When I was 14 or 15 my family went to France. While we were there we went to a couple places that were affected by the war. I remember rows and rows of crosses, and I remember a little tiny village that was still there in ruins. If I remember right the small place got attacked and pretty much everyone was killed. There was a tiny cemetery filled. Almost incomprehensible.
Derek loves learning about the history of all these things. (he would love to teach social studies) Me, I haven't been as into it. But I do have a deep respect for all those that served in the the war and are serving right now. We are so blessed to be in a country where we are free. It doesn't matter all the politics of the war when it comes down to the people who are serving and putting their life at risk. When you hear stories about what happened in the war, you can't help but be affected by them. My mom usually always took us to the cenotaph in Raymond for the ceremony on Remembrance Day growing up. I sometimes thought it was annoying to do on our day off school, but I understand now.

8 comments:

Just Rhonda said...

that top pic cracks me up!!! (let's face it there are a lot of little things to get into at mom an dads!)
And i really got choked up this year about Remembrance day! I am so grateful!

mindy said...

A really good book I just read is called The Help. I wouldn't say it's depressing but it does have a lot of injustice in it. It's very interesting and thought provoking. It doesn't leave you depressed, though. The boy...pyjamas definitely left me sad.

Em and Tom said...

Linz that pic is tells 1000 words! I love that they accomplished it in 5 minutes. My kids would never do that... more than three times a day:) Being a mom really makes you think about stuff doesn't it? I remember when Logan was only one week old holding him, and watching the T.V. LIVE when the second tower went down(that is also the first time that I had ever heard about the twin towers) wishing that he was a girl because girls don't have to go to war. Selfish right? I am so grateful for the soldiers who willingly keep us safe. I can't even watch war movies anymore, cause I picture my kids and can't handle it. Good post Linz!

Susie said...

why don't we all go for a swim when I'm there?? 5mins your kids ARE amazing. It is so good to remember, sometimes I wonder if my kids will remember, I guess its up to me to take the action and teach and do. Grandpa Steed -was because of surgeries he had when he was younger & left bad scars, kinda lucky i guess. Also I read your title wrong and I thought it was written to mom, you know what I mean.

Ashley Dawn said...

I'm glad that my kids aren't the only tornadoes waiting to happen! Love Remembrance day. It really is a powerful day to remember so much that has happened for us!

Kristi Drennan said...

I LOVED seeing that top picture! Because I too am a creep and obviously like to peek! And I've been blog stalking you for awhile...doesn't that make me even more of a creep? You should do a PEEK spot. I'd love it!

Anonymous said...

I saw it!!!!!!
Hahahahahah
No worries for me

Alysha Sladek said...

hahahha i'm impressed that all happened in 5 minutes. looks like something mine do.