Thursday, August 27, 2009

sometimes...

you just have to put up a random (kinda ugly) picture on the blog, and see if your husband ever reads it.




Well, to quote Melissa B, "I think I've caught the summer non-posting bug along with everyone else." Seriously what is with this summer and the lack of posts by the general blogland? It's been a fun summer, even if the weather has just decided to do the summer thing recently, it's been great. It's been non stop for the month of August and now I'm all, hmmm, now what?

(this is pretty much my favorite picture right now, James just climbed right up onto his great grandpa Hicken and cuddled while he read.)

I've been reading so much this summer. I've read a lot of lame-o books this summer, which really annoys me because when I start a book even if it's so so SO bad, I can't stop. If I ever do happen to quit a book, I feel all bad and I can't move on to a new one. Like I don't want to hurt the books' feelings so I just have to stop reading altogether for a while, so the book thinks I just got to busy and didn't finish. Then I get out of the habit of reading and I hate that, so that is why I HAVE to finish each and every book. And don't pretend books don't have feelings. But, there have been some good ones in between to make up for it. I'm always up for a good recommendation so give me a book or 2 in the comment section.

(grandma Hicken sharing her piano secrets, if only it were so easy for me...)

Derek's Grandpa Hicken turned 90 this month. We had a HUGE reunion party for him with tons of his kids, grandkids and greats at this big reunion house in Mountain View. I think there were over 80 people there over the 3 days. It rained pretty much the whole time and was still so fun. The Hicken's really are a great family and I'm pretty sure it has a whole lot to do with Grampa. He is such as amazing man on so many levels. One of the very best stories to sum him up was from his son Patrick who couldn't be there, but it was in this big memory book we made for him. He said, Not long ago I (Pat) was talking with my dad about some of my problems and what I was going through. And when I was done, grampa Hicken said, 'Well I don't know what to tell you, I've never really had any problems in my life.' This man, who had grown up in the depression, drove fighter planes in the war, raised 10 kids on a farm, never had any problems. Wow!


(the blanket toss: toss children up in the air and see their faces scared stiff for the enjoyment of the adults.)

(This is what you do when it rains, make a rope and skip...for hours...)

I really think we could all learn a lot from Grampa Hicken. He is one of the most genuine people you will meet, such an example of a true friend. And he is a friend to everyone. He is so unbelieveably patient and kind. I can't imagine he has ever raised his voice in his life. He really taught his kids about what is important in life. And apparently, crashing a car is not important and not worth getting upset about, neither is a brand new fridge falling out of the back of the truck. Seriously, I wish you could have heard some of these stories.




And since I've been so scholarly and reading so much this summer and having this great example of a life of 90 years and counting, I've been thinking. Reading can provoke a thought or 2 in my head, shocking I know. Then, turn on a little classical music on a Thursday night when the kids are in bed and I'm a monk. (also, in the moxie's parking lot, right Rhonda?) So, here's my thinking of lately. I know this isn't new and we all have these kinds of thoughts to keep us in check, so I'm writing them today.

(this is just the getting ready for the picture with everybody, i don't have one with everybody, it was way more than this.)

What am I doing with today? Why am I sometimes so ancey for the days to be over? It's just gonna be the same thing tomorrow. Is this just a countdown till we die? How terrible when you put it that way. I just want to be proud of what I did each day. I want to be aware of the big picture, but live in and fulfill the moment. I don't want to make stress where it isn't necessary. I want my kids to know a happy mom. I want my kids to see happy parents. I want to teach and raise my kids the right way. But sometimes I'm so busy trying to find out and worrying about what the right way is, I forget to live this life. I want to be a little more easy going and I want to have FUN! I want to be happy at the end of each day of my accomplishments. And making supper and cleaning it up IS an accomplishment! (and today I cannot say that accomplishment is mine, such is life when you live with your wonderful mother.) I am so happy and grateful for the life I have and the people that are in it, and I want to show it. It's not too hard, right?!



And now I'm spent after doing this for my first time this summer. (i can't believe i'm such a slacker and never went until now) and THAT is accomplishment. (No, not the waterskiing, getting in that dang water!)  note the glass that is the water and my reflection in it, perfection.


Then of course you end it with a few cute pictures. Cause there aren't enough pictures on here already.




Happy back to school everybody!

10 comments:

lynz said...

that picture of james and grandpa hicken is so stinkin cute :) i vote that you share some of your book suggestions with the blogger world since you're weeding out the good ones anyway!

Just Rhonda said...

:) Looks like Grandpa H had a great b-day party! And love all the silly pictures of Derek. :) And can't believe james got that much air in the blanket ride!
And good times in the moxie's parking lot :)

Oler Family said...

I love that picture of James and his great grandpa...that is so precious! I'm the exact same way with books...sometimes it takes me months to finish it but i can't walk away from it! Have you read the hiding place? I haven't read it yet but it's my next book. I've heard that it's really good!

whitney said...

A good book I read this summer is The Book of Negros. I didn't like that is was written to make you think it was a true story when it wasn't, but it is based on lots of true stories. It was one of those books that is sad, but so good to read at the same time. Someone recommended The Time Travelers Wife to me so that is next on my list. What are your recommendations?

Christal said...

great pictures and thoughts! love the blanket pics holy I'd be scared but it sure would be fun watching the kids do it ha ha!! Fun summer it looks like family is the best! Sorry I almost hit you in the moxie's parking lot too lol!! I appreciate the missionary style backing out help too. Good thing I actually saw you before I went any further eh!!
I want to hear what you've read too always looking for good books to read!
ttys!

Christal said...

ps thats an awesome water ski picture! you got style!! I wish I was that graceful on one when I drop one its pretty much guaranteed that I will wipe out within five minutes !!

Melissa said...

yay, i'm glad your back. What a fun summer you had. And i'm impressed with all your deep thoughts, some days are so routine i forget to think sometimes. Maybe i should take up reading...hmmmm!

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

So does your husband read your blog and did he enjoy that you put that picture of him on here. lol.

melissa said...

You deem me quotable?! I'm honored. I laughed so hard at the blanket toss picture. James looks terrified, judging by his body stance, & I could just imagine the face that matched that. So funny to me! Also, Linds you are an AMAZING mom!

mindy said...

Hey Lindsay--I finally made my way to your blog. It looks like things are good and the kids are adorable as always. Tell Alli happy B-day from aunt mindy. I just posted my mom's cinnamin bun recipe on my blog. Mattandmindyhunter.blogspot.com
Hope you have a great day--love you guys tons.