Sunday, April 19, 2009

where have i been?

Nowhere, really.  Just slackin around for the holidays.  Can I just rub in everybody's face who isn't married to a school teacher how great it is?!  Loving the holidays, fun easter weekend with the fam, spring cleaning, and yard work.  

(here's a little dirty laundry for ya, this is what alli's hair looks like most days.)

Decided to go into Lethbridge one day with my mom while Derek was golfing.  Alli needed new shoes for soccer.  She has 3 pairs of boots that are not going to be any good because the snow has ENDED...RIGHT?!  So here's our escapade.

First store, Payless.  Of course they didn't have the shoes that I wanted in her size.  Called the one single other Payless in town, no go.  (missing Edmonton here)  But I'm not sure it would have mattered.  Alli had a pair picked out and was trying them on.  Pink with stars.  Bleh ugly bleh shoes.  Now, I'm only slightly vain when it comes to dressing my children, but if I'm gonna get something ugly it will not be at the price of $24.99.  Nothing else here, so just carry on.
  
Not so.  

Alli is crying for me to get her the shoes.  She was practising running up and down the isles with a smile on her face that you couldn't resist seconds ago.  She won't put the box down.  The meltdown is coming.  The clerk lady's face was begging me to just buy them.  

Not gonna happen, I can resist.

I eventually drag her out telling her if we don't find something else we'll come back, and I bribe her a piece of gum to stop crying and try to ease the pain.  (my pain of dealing with her that is.)  We stop at a couple other place with the teary whiney child in tow.  Not great at the ol Park Place Mall, not great.  

I finally found a pair I could live with at Winners.  Pink with flowers, if that is somehow better.  She didn't want them.  I forced her to try them on, but she didn't forget about the stars.  I tried to distract her by looking around Winners (ok, I just needed a look around.)  When we revisited the shoe section, she immediatly went back to being crazy child.  The shoes were for soccer, but I had flashes of everytime we left the house her begging for those monster shoes while wearing a cute skirt or dress.  So, I did it.  I gave in.  I couldn't believe it , but I just didn't care anymore.  As she was happily skippng down the mall back to Payless, she noted a small child with an ice cream cone.  

A:  mom can I have an ice cream cone?
Me:  yeah right, not after the way you have been acting today.

And so began a small episode of begging for sugar as is my daily life.  I mentioned my mom was with me.  My smart humble and full of wisdom mother who raised 6 kids.  She may have let us pick our own haircuts as children, but I'm not sure we picked our shoes.  After a quick mother daughter consult, it was time for a life lesson.

Me:  Alli if you want an ice cream cone you can't get the star shoes because they cost too much. But the flower shoes cost less and there would be money for ice cream.  So do you want the flower shoes or the star shoes.
A:  ICE CREAM!

Went back to winners.  Alli went straight to the shoes and showed even more excitement for these than the stars.  'Oh mom, these are my favorite.  I'm gonna be able to kick the soccer ball so good.'  Ahhh, the smile and running up and down the isles again.

Lindsay Parenting - Bribe with gum

My Mom Parenting - Life lessons

Thanks for the ice cream mom.

I don't think she's worn the shoes other than the day we bought them, so no pics of them yet, thank goodness.
(7/52 i know , they're out of order.  
i'll post 6/52 and 5/52 later)

16 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

You're mom is a wise woman!! I may have to call her when I run into situations like that in the future.

Susie said...

I was totally laughing at this. I could picture the whole thing going down in good ol Park place mall. I hope I get some good life lessons when you guys come. I hope i don't get too many dirty looks when you see what Sadie gets away with here (mind you she also puts up with a bit too) I'll take the ice cream too! I'm scoping out some sweet dessert places.

Christal said...

seriously your mom is so smart I can't think like that in a time of crisis!! You always make me laugh with your posts and life lessons all along with it! You are awesome!! I'm sure she looks just beautiful in the shoes anyway!

Alysha Sladek said...

hahahha i love reading your blog. nice life lesson. i'll have to try that one...

Jacklyn said...

I loved this. And just think, some day you can be in the mall with your grandkids and Alli will look at you all helpless and you can take her aside and say "Well alli just remember to always have a piece of gum ready in your purse for times like this" hahaha

whitney said...

Hilarious! Oh I wish I had been in the mall that day so she how it all went down. Your momma is so smart!
Love Jacklyn's gum comment too!

This is why I shop with a big purse. A purse big enough to carry one shoe, a tshirt and pair of pants of Romans. Just to compare sizes. So that I can shop alone and buy what I want. Not what Roman wants.

lynz said...

i would want stars more than flowers too, but ice cream tops all stars and flowers - i'm totally loving alli's decision making here! and thank goodness for gum - it always makes it all better :)

Brittany said...

Oh I probably would have bought everything just to save the tears...what doesn't ice cream fix. Now we know how your mom survived with 6 kids!!

Tisha said...

What a great story! I'm with Whitney, shopping without kids is the way to go, although it rarely happens in my world!

Jaime said...

I always carry a treat in my purse for the meltdowns that seem to happen frequently with us!
Alli sounds like a smart girl-ice cream AND new shoes!

Jacklyn said...

ha ha Lins glad to make you bust. I have to admit that I laughed while I wrote it haha same as always, the only people that laugh at me is me and you

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

I know where you've been. Training to run stinkin' 10 MILES. That's crazy/so awesome. I will do a half marathon one day...yeah right. Seriously though, you rock.

melissa said...

haha! Gotta love the "mom" parenting skills. It's a good thing we have those around! Oh the things Alli is going to teach you. I can't wait for you to continue posting them and for me to live vicariously through the mom life. Sigh. haha!

Oler Family said...

That is so funny! I can definately relate! What would we do without our moms? I'm glad your back. I've missed your blog

Candice said...

That is a great life lesson! I completely agree, you can't have both....so the choices begin.
Loved the story!

The Lowry's said...

I'm jealous of the fun you are having with your kids. This past week I have better getting our house ready to sell - organizing, dejunking, cleaning, the works. My kids have been ignored, thus I am jealous.
Your mom is so smart. Definitely will have to remember that one for future.