Thursday, January 25, 2007

sledding

This gal LOVES to be outside, as does every child I'm sure. It's been great having some nice weather this week. She is the happiest kid just walking around outside, she'd do it for hours I bet. She doesn't need any entertainment, just walking is good. When people walk by she starts saying "hi, hi, hi" and following them. It's fun to just watch her in her own little world and see what intrigues her.




Since she likes outside so much, Susie and I took Alli out sledding on Saturday. And she seemed to really like it. There is a perfect hill just a block away from our house. We didn't go too long because it was getting cold as the sun went down. And I got no good pictures because not much light and moving people and I couldn't figure which setting to use. Another little note, we used a garbage bag since I had no sled, it worked good enough, but you sure feel those bumps!


So I was all excited to take Alli out agan this week. It was perfect out on Tuesday after Derek got home. And what do you know, he even brought home a sled. We went to the hill, and I was all ready to try out different settings on the camera. Alli starts crying as soon as Derek sits down on the sled. It was just a little cry so he took her again and she was bawling. Took a break and Alli settled, kind of, and I thought maybe she would like going down with me instead. Yeah right. First of all, it's a small sled, second, I'm huge and pregnant, third she was crying before I even started moving, and last I had no control and we hit a bump and Alli almost tumbled out of my arms. She was crying again and wouldn't stop until we were walking back, and then she was happy again.


I got all of two pictures with Alli and Derek. At least Derek is having fun, but Alli looks a little stressed I must say. I didn't get to try anything fun with the camera, so this will not be my final attempt of sledding with Alli this winter. The snow will be here for way to long so there be plenty more opportunities to toughen her up as long as I can still zip up my winter coat (which actually might not be for much longer, but for some reason I refuse to buy a pregnant coat). So I might have to get a bigger sled or just stick to being the photographer and Alli will have to go with Derek. We did have a fun week playing outside, and even went to a playgroup at the church this morning which of course Alli loved. But, so much for my week of pictures. I better get some ideas brewing.

I worked a night shift on Tuesday, I was surprised how well my body did, but I sure don't want to be doing one of those every week. Did anyone watch Oprah on Tuesday? What a good debate topic that was. It was the old stay at home mom vs. the working mom. After watching that, I stand by my decision to work only when it works for my family and for me. Of course, I also respect other people's decisions to do what ever they want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are so cute! i did see oprah it was a good topic. that one stay at home mom was pretty pushy with her opinion eh!

Anonymous said...

ohhh she must have been missing aunt susie. I guess i make the sledding fun. well i'll see if i can take her out again ha ha. at least derek was appearing to have fun!

whitney said...

Isn't it so nice that the weather is getting nicer so they can be outside more. It makes the whole day better when Roman gets his afternoons outside. Can't wait till summer. Maybe I'll have to try sledding, never even thought of it.