Thursday, May 19, 2011

oh mothers!

Well, Mother's Day has come and gone for another year.

I found my camera cord, it was literally in front of my face on the desk. Don't I have a cute backdrop in my very own backyard?! You can pretty much expect us to be there all the time because I think it's fantastic.



I think we should start a campaign for Mother's Day to be a bi annual event. Not so much for the gift factor (although I know you would all be jealous of the tomato saver I received) but more for the recognition we get. (oh and the breakfast, sleep in, dinner made and cleaned up not by me, the children's colorings and extra loves, husband slight struggle to keep a smile on, ha jks, etc.) Who's with me?! Don't you just love a day where you are validated in ALL you do?

(this has got to be the best self timed pic ever! first try too.)


At times I feel overwhelmed as a wife/mother/person. Sometimes I just don't want to be an adult and pay bills, be responsible to feed and bathe my children, empty the dishwasher, mop the floor, and go to work. (i do enjoy it when I tell my kids no more treats etc and then they go to bed and I eat whatever I want, but I digress.)

There are so many things I sometimes want to/could be doing but choose not to because I want to be with my family. I choose to focus on what I AM doing as a wife/mother/person, not what I am not doing. For example, in my last pregnancy, I usually made food and had meals for the kind man of the house and me. Well, this time, up to this point in my zombie state, my house has stayed relatively clean. Put it together if you might, but I choose not to focus on the fact that the other day's Sunday dinner was the first actual meal I made in over a week. (good thing I have a husband and a bbq)



Focusing on the negative is a rough road to go down. While I believe in improving myself and working to be better, I cannot put my focus on the negative. There is a non self destructive way to go about it, and it pretty much involves not comparing myself to others. I truly believe this is what can get me down and can motivate me the wrong way. When I do want to improve in some area or whatever, it's not so that I can be as good or better than my friend(s) or whoever, it's to genuinely be a better wife/mother/person. I hate it when I lose sight of this. I hate when any of us lose sight of this. I love so much when a we can rejoice in an accomplishment together without feelings of envy or spite. (I have decided not to be mad at my friends who can run fast right now. i just focus on the fact that...well someday I will be able to do it again, right?!) When there is a genuine love between people it is easy to find the good in one another. When I am finding the good in someone, they just might be finding the good in me and it becomes easier for everyone involved to feel uplifted when that is the focus.



So that is somehow my mothers day post! I just have to say that I love my family so very much. I really do love being a mom. I love being around my family. I'll be looking in my calendar for one more day to be Mother's Day because I DO want some extra recognition for how awesome I am. And isn't it always nice to be extra loved? You know, just enough to keep us going. Come on, once a year?! I think we all need this at least twice!



Next post, my mothers day present 4 years ago, James!

8 comments:

whitney said...

I want your curly hair in the mom's day picture!
When shall we do our trade?
I think you are a great mom, a mom that when I'm down about my mothering I think I should try to be like.

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I am so with you on the 2 mothers day a year.

I always feel like even one birthday a year is not enough. I always try to remind people of my half birthday, but so far no one is onboard yet to celebrate with me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! I didn't know you were having another baby!! Congratulations! You and Derek really do know how to make cute kids and I'm sure this one will be ever so cute even though he wasn't "Edmonton Made"!!
I love this Mother's Day post and agree whole heartedly that being happy and content with your self is the only way we can truly show love to others!
Keep up the great attitude and try to run as long as you possibly can... it will pay huge dividends when you have the baby and after.

Karen said...

Some day SHAINA will probably think about all these sorts of things, but for now she's just an adorable 11 year old with a very scatterbrained mother!!!

Jacklyn said...

Lins quit being so smart and in depth it makes me feel dumb. I can barely form a sentence on my blog these days. J/k I love that you are all smart and stuff

Jaime said...

As if you are even pregnant in that family picture, you look fantastic! No matter how pregnant you are, you will always be a faster runner than me.

LindsayB said...

no way cutest family pic, and its only gonna be cuter in 5 months when you are holding a darling little babe. amen to the mom stuff, i'd even do a dads day twice but I know mine is fine with one. can't wait for the b-day party post- to the cutest 4 year old I know Happy Birthday!!
p.s too lazy to log out but it's Susie

Kristi Drennan said...

We are so much alike. That's all I gotta say. Rock on cute Mama!

Oh...

Just sayin'.