Tuesday, June 22, 2010

i went running

So what do ya know, back again. And how about all those comments, I'm gonna beg like a hungry puppy more often!

I have been doing some training the past few months in the running department. I have been getting up before my kids almost every Saturday and during the week too for a while now. I've been wearing ear warmers and layers of clothing and enduring a couple of the worst blisters of my life. All for the joy of running. Oh the joy.

I ran another half marathon a few weeks ago. It was not my favorite race up to this point in my life. I do still have all my toenails intact with no bruises underneath them this year so that's good right?! It was my slowest time ever so that was lame, but whatever I guess. Remember last year when I ran the same race on the same weekend and how fantastic it was seen here?

(I passed all those people behind me in the last mile, minus the dude walking rubbing it in our face we weren't done and he was. I felt like I was going in slow mo, I don't know how I passed them)

Anyway, I still like running, so I guess I'll keep doing it. This year I trained with a couple friends. I have never trained with people and it was a-ok. I never would have gotten up at 6:30 on Saturdays if I wasn't accountable to them. We had quite the time together. It's surprising how deep your conversations can get while running for a couple hours.

(this is the end, I thought I was going to cry or puke, but I was so cold I did neither.)

So as you can see, the weather may or may not have had a factor in my time. The snow plow went past us twice. It was a sleet kind of snow with wind that pierced my face and froze it into place. My feet were soaking wet in about 3 mins, but it was ok because I couldn't feel them after 5 mins. I could not get warm for days following. (remember, I hate being cold) I'm not very competitive anymore. I still have goals when I run, but it's hard to get to into it when for the last 3 years I haven't ran a race faster than I did back in the day. It's especially annoying because I actually train harder now than I did back then, I think anyway. I ran another race last weekend and my time bummed me out. I think I'll quit trying for a time and focus on the fun. But if I try and focus on the fun I realize it isn't any fun. Dang.

(Oh wait! I'm having fun!)

So I don't know what I'm trying to say. I just thought I'd talk about running for a while because other people talk about crafting and all and I don't know how to do that so I thought I'd talk about something I like to do. I guess that just about sums it up.

Me and one of my running pals, Julie. I look like I just woke up, I never look good pre post or during a run. See, I'm not always vain, I'll put up ugly stuff too.

ps i hate that i didn't lose 5 pounds with all this work out business before my 10 year reunion coming up in less than 2 weeks. woops vain again!

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Look at you all hard core! I miss having a running partner; it makes it so much more fun. Faster means more fun to me, but unfortunately, I'm the slowest thing around these days.

Alysha Sladek said...

I can't believe you ran in that!! YUCK!!! Good for you for getting up and doing it. I'll watch for the sidelines ;)

Kristi Drennan said...

This makes me want to be a runner. I just have to get to the point where going for a walk doesn't make me need to sleep for three days.

Just sayin'.

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

um, I'm slower than molasses, so there.
and I've never ran a half marathon and I want to.
You're awesome.

Karen said...

Brutal weather!! Good for you braving that kind of weather all in the name of good clean running fun. You are totally hard core!
I wish I could run, still having back pain issues... I have a new love though, have you ever tried HOT YOGA?? Seriously, the most fun you can have in 40+ degrees ever!! (besides sitting on a beach of course!)

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

So glad that I didn't run that race. Looked brutal. But you did it!!!!

Are you doing the Fort M tri this year? I hear that Raymond is having a tri too.

Susie said...

clearly you are my hero. I was white knuckling the while driving in it. You runners almost make it sound fun even too me, I doubt I'll ever make it to the 1/2 marathon club, BUT if I do I hope for a better finish line than that come on, roll out the red carpet and seriously where are the fans? Oh and I would for sure demand a soak in the hot tub for 3 hours while being served something delish.

Jaime said...

I would like to know where those so-called 5 lbs are that you need to lose!

The Lowry's said...

Your hard core, running in that! And 5 lbs? i was just thinking when I saw you last (dance recital I think) that you looked really good, so I don't think you need to lose weight. Maybe all the running toned you up a bit? Have fun at the reunion. I tried to convince Jeff to go, but he has no desire.

marisajbaines said...

i thought i better comment seeing how you only have 9 comments...ha. well lady (this is not a nickname, rather, just a word referring to a women) good job in your run! i was thinking about you girls that morning, the weather was less than desirable!
p.s i think i am going to name my next girl.......tyler or ryan or maybe justin...what do you think?