Wednesday, July 22, 2009

i'm vain, i know

Roger and Karie got a new camera.  Alli asked Karie to take her picture when we were out for Drew's 1st birthday party on Sunday.

This is a before picture.


3 little girls were in the other room for a long time crafting away making cards for Drew.  I guess we left them crafting a little too long.

Brooke found them in the act.  

I started screaming, 'NO NO NO ALLI!'  But it was too late.  Alli started bawling, luckily I did not.  

How handy to have the new camera around to document this.  

There is another big chunk out on the other side, but not as short.  I just kept pulling out more and more little blonde curls as held back my emotions.  Her hair is even more thin now.

Sarabeth pulled out the video camera for Ava and she just smiled away.  


Here is what 3 little girls can do.  I think it's mostly Ava's hair.  You can hardly tell with Natalee's hair, I have no pics of her.


I'll get over it, but I'm still not smiling about it.

I went to bed really early that night, hoping to sleep it off as a bad dream.  But I still woke up to the freak hair.  I can't believe how much this affected me.  Am I the only devastated vain mom?Everyone I tell just laughs and says 'haha, they all do it at some point.'  But no, they don't all do it, they shouldn't get away with this.  I never cut my hair and neither did either of my sisters.  (Then again, my mom might not have noticed if we ever did.  You know what I mean if you have ever seen any of my childhood haircuts.)  Please, everyone tell me how you truly felt when your child cut their hair.  Please tell me that all your kids did it and it and I'm not horrible for caring so much about how my child looks.  And don't tell me about when your boy did it.  Because James got a hold of a pair of those scissors and I quickly took them away and gave them back to these so called 'older' kids who were allowed scissors.  James has worked long and hard to grow hair, but c'mon, boys can just shave it.  

No pics of cute little Drew on his birthday, sorry bud, I found myself distracted for the rest of the night.

21 comments:

Ashley Dawn said...

Yes, my kids have done this and YES, I was devastated. Two of my girls did it right as we were leaving to go to California. Right before Christmas when there's 100 pictures being taken. I was SO sad. I have a friend who has threatened shaving her kids hair if she ever cuts it. I seriously thought about it. Good luck with the emotional recovery!

Susie said...

this IS a tragedy! I can only imagine. You can call you me, cry all you want, because this is truly devastating. You worked so hard to grow those luscious locks out, its so rude that she just went & snipped em. I know Sadie is SLOWLY getting more hair but come on she is almost 2 if she can't have a pony tail or clippie soon I'm considering a toddler weave or wig of some sort. What do ya say, How's that for vain?

Tammy said...

I am so proud of you for not crying! When Melissa was 3 or 4 and cut the ends of her braids off I lost it! I wasn't sure she was going to survive it! We were lucky that it was only the ends and not the top! I feel for you! I am sure Melissa never forgot it either.

melissa said...

haha! My mom just told me you posted a new one. Now I know why she wanted me to read it so badly! I definitely did that. 4" off the ends of my braids - both braids. All I remember is my mom and I both sitting in front of the bathroom mirror with both of us bawling. She wasn't happy. Sounds like you handled it like a champ!

DeAnna said...

It took my son literally 5 seconds to grab the scissors when I wasn't looking, run to his room, close his door and snip of an entire chunk of curly hair down to almost the roots right at the front. I could've screamed!! He got in a huge amount of trouble and hasn't cut it since. Now he refuses to get a hair cut unless it is too poofy.

Jaime said...

Ask Jackie how it feels. When we were little, we played hairdresser, me being the hairdresser and her being the client. She had a boy haircut (complete with a perm) for a year after. I don't know if she has ever completely forgiven me for it!!
Hopefully Alli's hair grows back fast for you!!

Maryn said...

I wish I could be the kind consoling friend, but truth is out of seven Sam is the only " stylist" at this house and like you said, no biggie I just gave him a buzz!
I think because I do hair (and when my big kids were little I did a ton of it at home) they saw me "fix" enough "DO IT YOURSELF" cuts that they knew it wasn't a good idea! SO SORRY Lindsay, it's just a good thing Ali is totally adorable to start with. I know it's so cliche but cheer up friend... hair grows!!!! This is Karen by the way!

Mindi said...

I don't remember cutting my hair, but I do remember my younger sisters doing it...I really can't sympathize/empathize ect! Sorry! But that is super sad!

rebecca said...

oh, I've so been there Lindsay...twice now! at least she didn't give herself a mullet:

http://rebeccacooper.blogspot.com/2006/03/oh-wow.html

I cried.

Oler Family said...

yikes!!! I remember cutting my hair when I was little...I looked like Jim Carrey on Dumb and dumber...it could be worse! Very sad!

whitney said...

Look on the bright side, at least it isn't all the way to the scalp or something. Go for layers or the cute little bob that I love on Alli. That said, I am sure if it was my little girl I would feel the same way.

KellyLady said...

If I had girls I'm sure it would have been done by now and I'm sure I would have cried. Be as upset as you want to be...
Sometimes I think our kids being so dang cute is the only thing that saves their lives!

Just Rhonda said...

oh that SUCKS!!!!!

Unknown said...

That is soo sad. I've thought of houston doing that to kodi cause he has an obsession with scissors. And she's two and still has hardly any, so I would probably not hold back the tears if it happened to me. but it'll grow back... yikes.

Unknown said...

That is soo sad. I've thought of houston doing that to kodi cause he has an obsession with scissors. And she's two and still has hardly any, so I would probably not hold back the tears if it happened to me. but it'll grow back... yikes.

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I would be just as upset if Grace ever did that. I am sure that she will one day and I will have a good cry about it.

Telling yourself that it will grow out is not really any consolation.

Annette Bailey said...

Yep, Lilly did it too, or should I say Isaac did it to Lilly while she sat there enjoying the attention. This was last year and she looked like a little boy for ages. She can have pig tails now but it's still too short for one pony tail. :(

It get's funny eventually...

Christal said...

oh lindsey! I am so sorry. Your not vain at all I would be the same way. Its never happened yet although she went to a party and they told me they got the scissors away from lauren just as she was about to cut her ponytail off!! Now I would have been livid especially if it happened at a party!
But I'm sorry good thing she is so cute though!! ttys

Anonymous said...

ummmm...wow. Dianna cut her own bangs at Christmas and we're still living out that disaster. I found that thick headbands are very useful hiders of ugly tufts...(not the plastic ones)
i should also note that at the same time, she also decided to shave her legs AND arms (she's 9), so be grateful Ali wasn't playing with razors...
See- there's ALWAYS a bright side

Alysha Sladek said...

my girls have cut their hair SEVERAL times and each time is just as devastating as the last. you're not alone :)

Jacklyn said...

all of our hard work...so sad. I know how to hide it though. Just swoop all her hair from the good side over into a side poney to cover the bad side...the higher the better. And we know that she will love it